Monday, December 12, 2011

OH Christmas tree.

We forgo the HEB tradition (kinda didnt like breaking a tradition...but really? it doesnt matter. Laura, it.doesn't. matter. OH THAT FEELS GOOD.) and went to Lowe's to buy our Christmas tree.
I love ambiance in everything and dreamy scenarios.  
Vacations, resturants, dates, dinners at home, parties, being a mom and wife... 
PERFECTIONISM is my enemy.

With that being said, I had of course dreamed of the perfect Christmas Tree night.  
Greg would be home as soon as possible, we would all be thrilled with delight to drive an hour in the wagon to the tree farm, listening to Christmas music.  We would drink hot chocolate and find the perfect tree.  My manly husband would chop it down while my son looked at his father in amazement.  We would take incredible pictures.  We would put our Christmas tree on top of the car, because that is cute and makes for a great picture.  We would continue to listen to Christmas music on the way home and grab a bite to eat quickly so we could get home and start decorating.  So excited!
And at home?  Oh just some friends, cookies, more hot chocolate and Christmas music.  Everyone is happy and Christmasy and festive and having the time of their lives frolicking around the toasty house.
This is really what goes through my head.  And I REALLY had this expectation. 

BUT.  This is how the dreamy night went:
Greg got home late because of a meeting.  No time to drive to the farm. okay.
Lets do Lowes. Thats more tree farmish than HEB.  :)  I dont remember if we listened to Christmas music and Lowes did not offer us any hot chocolate. 
We get our tree and hurried home because the Jones' were sitting outside our house waiting for us.  
Tree goes up.  And well, we hung out. It was fun.  Made some breakfast for dinner. Took some pics and put Oak to bed.
Greg starts putting the lights on the tree and gets frustrated.  A strand goes out.  Has to start over.  Hits his head on the deer head 3 times.  The next time he hit it, it fell of the wall and exposed the not so good hanging job I did. :(
He made a not so excited grunt and walked away.  
I told him to retire and go to bed. 
He fell asleep on the couch.
I finished the tree into the wee hours and decided to hang an ornament creation above the couch. 
Above greg.  
With thumb tacks.

And it looked good. 
Until I walked into the room to the sight of the whole string falling on Gregs face (so thankful I didn't miss this moment), waking him up to ornaments galore.  
It was priceless and hilarious.  
Like, Christmas Vacation scene worthy.
He was mad and a bit ticked off.  
But after me laughing for a good 5 minutes, he gave in and laughed too.
We feel asleep laughing.

It turned out to be a great night.  Not at all what I had dreamt up, but a great night indeed.  






































The aftermath of the string of ornaments:



Checkin' everything out the next morning:






1 comment:

  1. Laura, so glad to catch up with you on your blog! Amy Ann tipped me off to it! We love love love reading blogs. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete