Monday, February 15, 2016

Marriage. 
God has redeemed my marriage.  He is redeeming my marriage.
2 years ago this spring I wanted to quit.  Like, I was done.  I wanted out.  But I didn't know how to get out. I was stuck.  I was lonely.  And i wanted nothing of life as it was.

We had moved here 8 months before.  Greg threw himself into ministry.  Into trying to do his job well.  Into trying to figure it out.  He was full of faith and passionate about the college ministry.  We had left all of our best friends.  The people that knew us as a married couple from the beginning.  The people who had walked with us through the ins and outs of the past five years.  Being newlyweds, leading lifegroups, walking in community, deaths, miscarriages, pregnancies, babies, being parents, discipling kids, families, money and the lack and surplus of it, and on and on...
They knew us in many ways better than either of our families...because we had lived so intentionally with one another, life on life.  
And so here we were....August, 2013, Norman, Oklahoma...greg full ahead in ministry.  And I ached.  I was lonely.  I missed my people.  In a place that was quite familiar and even a lot of people that i "knew," I was desperately lonely.  Our marriage was pulling further a part.  And we hit rock bottom. 
By the time December came...Greg too recognized his disappointment in what he felt like would be a job he would thrive in, he actually felt like he was drowning.  We were both drowning.  We had no community, un clear expectations, little accountability, and a marriage that was looking like roommates who parented well together.  We recognized this in December and coasted until March/April when things boiled up again and I admitted I was done.  Done coasting, done playing this game, done dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment